Winchester Model 1876
NOTE: this is an example of a previous customer restoration, and therefore the firearm is not for sale. Please browse the showroom for our current selection of restored, pre-owned, refinished and manufactured firearms.
Answering the demand of big-game hunters, Winchester set out to produce a heftier version of their already-popular Model 1873. Introduced to celebrate the American Centennial Exposition, the new Model 1876 quickly earned a reputation as an effective big-game hunting rifle.
Originally chambered for Winchester’s new .45-75 Winchester Centennial cartridge (mimicking .45-70 ballistics in a shorter case in order to accommodate the 76’s toggle-link action receiver), versions in .40-60 Winchester, .45-60 Winchester and .50-95 Winchester eventually became available. Our restored example sports the latter chambering, which was known to be popular among professional buffalo hunters of the day.
- Repair forend cap, hammer notches and sear
- Replace and fit springs, toggle pins, lifter
- Fit new dust cover
- New barrel
- New #21 front sight and sporting rear sight
- Stamp British proof marks and .50 Cal on barrel
- New pistol grip buttstock, 2XX walnut with ebony insert and steel shotgun butt plate
- New forend, 2XX walnut
- Checker buttstock and forend, 24lpi with mullered border
- Polish receiver and all parts
- Re-cut/re-stamp receiver markings
- Color case harden receiver, lever, hammer, side plates, forend cap
- Charcoal blue butt plate, trigger, dust cover, small parts
|Year of Manufacture||