Can My Firearm be Color Case Hardened?
We receive many questions about color case hardening, specifically whether or not we can color case harden a firearm. Here are a couple hard-and-fast rules:
- We can only color case harden carbon steel (no stainless, aluminum, etc.).
- That steel must be blued or in the white (not PVD coated, Cerakoted, etc.).
- The firearm must be in new-in-box condition or recently polished to 400 grit to our standards.
- We don’t color case harden pistol slides (except the LCP, LC9, or EC9) and we don’t color case harden double action revolvers.
Beyond that, it’s worth having a discussion about whether we can or can’t do it!
How do I ship you my gun for a quote?
Handguns and Long guns for repair/restoration may be shipped by an individual directly to Turnbull Restoration. Firearms shipped directly to Turnbull Restoration should be packaged in a sturdy enough container to survive harsh shipping and handling conditions common with most carriers.
We recommend shipping via UPS or FedEx. Our address is: Turnbull Restoration Co., Inc., 6680 Route 5 & 20, Bloomfield, NY 14469.
What about insurance?
All firearms being returned to customers will have a maximum of $1,000.00 insurance. Additional insurance will be at the expense of the customer, at a rate of $9.00 per $1,000.00 of insurance coverage.
How do I request a quote?
- We recommend first calling or emailing us to discuss the type of work you are interested in having done and to verify that it is work/restoration we would normally do.
- You can ship your firearm to Turnbull Restoration for an evaluation with a brief description of the work you are interested in having done. You can expect to hear from us within four weeks after the firearm arrives.
- We will fax, mail or email you a written quote once we have had a chance to examine the firearm. You have 30 days to reply.
- If we do not hear from a customer within 30 days of a written/email quote the gun will be returned at customer expense at a rate of $25.
- No deposit is required until we begin work on your project. At that time we will call or email to secure a deposit of 1/3rd the quoted price.
- Under/Over Quote: Turnbull Restoration will make every attempt to include the cost of all the necessary work/repairs in the initial quote, however, if any unforeseen/additional repairs are needed that were not included in the initial quote, Turnbull Restoration will notify the customer regarding the additional work and cost.
- Turnbull Restoration will notify the customer by phone when the project is complete. Payment is due within 30 days of this notice. If payment is not received in full after the 30 day notice, Turnbull Restoration will notify the customer by certified mail that the balance is still outstanding. Failure to pay the invoice in full within 15 days of the receipt of the certified letter will result in the gun becoming the property of Turnbull Restoration. Turnbull Restoration has the right to sell the completed firearm/parts to satisfy the outstanding invoice balance.
Do I need an FFL?
Handguns and long guns being shipped for repair/restoration work do not need to be shipped from an FFL. They may be shipped by an individual directly to Turnbull Restoration and can be returned directly to the customer.
If a customer opts to use an FFL to ship the firearm to us, the repaired/restored firearm MUST be returned to an FFL.
Firearms purchased from Turnbull Restoration must be shipped to an agent/dealer with an FFL.
When is your next show?
When is your shop open?
Our showroom in Bloomfield, NY is open to the public Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 3:30 PM (Eastern Standard Time).
What is Turnbull's privacy statement?
What about payment?
- All prices are quoted in US Dollars. We offer several forms of payment. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express.
- We also accept personal checks, certified checks and money orders (unless otherwise noted).
- Please indicate either on the check or certified funds the account or invoice number you would like to apply payment to. The payment should be mailed to Turnbull Restoration Co., Inc.: 6680 State Route 5 and 20, Bloomfield, NY 14469.
- Any and all questions about shipping and insurance should be addressed with sales at the time payment information is obtained.
What is your shipping policy?
- Handguns and long guns may be shipped by individuals directly to Turnbull Restoration for repair/restoration and can be returned to the customer directly.
- Firearms purchased from Turnbull Restoration must be shipped to an agent/dealer with an FFL.
- Firearms shipped to Turnbull Restoration should be packaged in a sturdy enough container to survive harsh shipping and handling conditions common with most carriers.
- Firearms being returned to customers will be packaged by Turnbull Restoration to ensure safe arrival.
- ALL shipments coming from Turnbull Restoration will have a maximum of $1,000.00 insurance.
- Additional insurance will be at the expense of the customer at a rate of $9.00 per $1000.00 of insurance coverage.
- Firearms shipped outside of the United States will be exported through Borderview International. The customer will be responsible for ALL shipping/import/export fees.
What is your returns policy?
- The customer will have one week from the delivery confirmation date to contact Turnbull Restoration concerning any problems or concerns.
- If the reason for the return is a result of work done by Turnbull Restoration then we will cover the shipping from the customer and the shipping back to the customer.
- If the reason for the return is the result of damage or modifications done by the customer then the customer will pay the shipping to and from Turnbull Restoration.
Can you color case harden my firearm?
We’re only able to color case harden and charcoal blue carbon steel, so if your firearm is stainless we can’t work on it. Additionally, there are some parts and models we won’t color case harden, for a variety of reasons. Contact us directly to find out if you have a project we can help with.