Memorial Day in the United Sates: the day set aside to honor and mourn American military personnel who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country, and one of our most cherished national holidays.
As one small way to honor the heroes who gave everything to defend our country, we’ve assembled a list of suggested reading. We hope you’re able to take some time during the holiday to explore some of these resources and reflect.
The History of Memorial Day
- Memorial Day entry at Wikipedia.org
- “Memorial Day History” at VA.gov
- “Memorial Day” at History.com
- “Memorial Day 2021” at Military.com
Reflections on Memorial Day
National War Museums and Memorials
- The National Civil War Museum
- The National WWI Museum and Memorial
- The National WWI Museum
- The Korean War National Museum (It was announced in March 2018 that artifacts formerly displayed in the former Springfield, Illinois museum had been transferred to the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum in Independence, Missouri)
- The National Vietnam War Museum
- The National Desert Storm and Desert Shield Memorial
Historical Small Arms
- “Small Arms by Conflict” at MilitaryFactory.com
- “Over There: Sniper Rifles and Shotguns in World War I” at AmericanRifleman.org
This is just a small sampling. We certainly encourage you to seek out additional publications, institutions and resources related to all military conflicts involving American service men and women. Do you have additional suggestions for our list, or perhaps personal reflections on Memorial Day? Feel free to use the comments section below.